Friday, May 31, 2013

Zen Running Moments

Not every run is pure zen to me, as a matter of fact, a lot of runs are not so memorable at all. I think though that the moments when everything seems to come together are the reasons why I keep lacing up and heading out the door.

Here are just a few of mine...

Running the NYC Marathon. Taking off towards the Verazzano Narrows bridge. The sun is just starting to surface and Frank Sinatra is bellowing "New York, New York..." from a speaker system nearby. The wind is blowing, the music is playing. You look up and can barely see the top of the bridge. It's size, combined with multitude of runners all around you, is overwhelming and magnificent.

Every time I think about it, I still get goosebumps.

The first marathon I did with my sister...Philadelphia. The moment we neared the end of the race and grabbed each others hand and finished together. I remember being so overwhelmed with joy that I thought I would break down and cry right there.

When I am running with my dog at night. The air is cool and I can see the sun setting in the distance. It is quiet and all I can hear is my own breathing and my feet going plop plop on the pavement. My dog has his tongue out and looks like he is smiling. I always feel like I am running faster at night, not sure why, but in my mind I am flying, even though my Garmin tells me I am doing a 12 minute mile.

The Colorado Marathon and running through the Poudre Canyon. Standing at the start line, it's cold and still dark out. After the first few miles, the sun starts to rise over the canyon. The Poudre river is to the left, the only sounds are breathing and rushing water from the Poudre. On both sides you are surrounded by mountain. If you can take a moment to soak it all in and stop thinking about how slow or fast you are going, it is gorgeous and amazing.

Running the Slacker just after my friend Mike passed away and seeing this amazing yellow butterfly at mile 8 that stayed with me for at least another mile or so. Symbolic, as if he was there by my side, pushing me along and telling me that everything would be OK.

The Vermont City Marathon. The most difficult race I have ever completed. I ran it with my sister and I thought we would never finish. But we did. It was beautiful and hilly. The last few miles we walked and barely made the cut off. The last stretch we grabbed each others hand and ran through to the finish. The race was so difficult, and finishing it was so fulfilling to me.

One of the happiest moments of my life.

Running the Keystone Half Marathon. My first official trail race, all single track, over rocks, rivers and boulders. Running that race made me feel invincible, kind of like a bad ass. It was quiet and all I remember is navigating through the mud and trees. The sun breaking through the leaves, a cool breeze on my face, never feeling more alive.

Running Las Vegas with one of the biggest hoards of people ever. It was cold that day and the wind was blowing us around. The Blue Man Group sang the anthem, the gun went off, and the people pushed and shoved. When the crowd broke up, the Vegas strip was spread out in front, beautiful lights, everywhere. Like a surrealistic magical city.

Myrtle Beach, running along the ocean, smelling the ocean and feeling the breeze on my face.

The Mt Evans Ascent, another difficult race, all uphill. Running that race with Mike and Nikki and barely making the cut-off. There was snow all around us and the wind was fierce. Reaching the top and Mike taking pictures of mountain goats. Taking the bus back down to the bottom and eating the most amazing cheeseburger ever.

I am sure there are many others but for now, those are the most memorable moments for me.

What are your zen running moments?





No comments:

Post a Comment