Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So What Exactly Does a Runner Look Like?

When I first started to run over a decade ago I had a pretty warped view of what constituted a real runner. Maybe things were a little different back then but to me a "real runner" was one that looked like they could run circles around me. They were small, slender and compact, with tight calves and not an ounce of fat to be found anywhere on their bodies. They dressed the part and were seriously competitive. These were the people that did the 5 mile warm-up run before the 5 mile race. They never looked like they were at a race for the enjoyment of it.

They wanted to win.

I always thought I was out of my league, even though quite honestly, If I had put a bit more effort into my training, I probably had a pretty decent chance of being in their league. The problem was, I was just not that serious.

Years later, I often ask myself what exactly constitutes a "real runner" anyway? I guess if you were a non-runner you would assume that anybody that runs typically looks like someone that runs, meaning... not me.

And yes a lot of runners do fit that description but then there are the rest of us.

A few months ago some old friends came over for dinner. Since neither of them run they are constantly intrigued by my running stories. They ask me where I run, what races I have run, how many miles I run, etc, and seem amazed when I repeat myself time and time again to the question of what is a marathon.

 "26.2 miles."

"Wow" they say, "But for some reason, I can't visualize someone like you, running."

 "Why?" i say.

"Because you don't look like a runner."

Hummmmm....

I suppose I should have been insulted by this comment, but I took it in stride, especially since it was followed by "Well you know, the runner's I see are really skinny and stuff and well, your not."

"oh..."

They have a point. Yes,  I do not "look" like a runner. As a matter of fact, when I tell people that I run upwards of 45 miles a week when I am in training they look at me oddly. The often cannot wrap their heads around the fact that me, the slightly overweight, middle-aged, flat-footed person that I am, can even run up a flight of stairs without passing out.

While it's true that I have lost a bit of weight over the last year and my form is a little better (I do not slap my honkin feet on the pavement and trip quite so often) I still do not look like what you would think a typical runner looks like.

Maybe to any non-runner you would need to look like the Olympic medalist jumping hurdles during time trials.



The reality is though (and I feel confident saying this since I have been running for over a decade) is that I used to think this way too. I used to think when I ran a race and some tiny, young, muscle clad gazelle, flew past me, I was kidding myself. What am I doing here? Who me? A runner? Hysterically funny to even conceive of this! I really had no clue.

After running several races and being passed by 80 year old women, gimpy guys, wheelchair recipients, and very overweight wheezy newbies, I now have a different concept of what a runner is. Runners really do come in all shapes and sizes the concept of what makes a runner well... a runner has more to do with spirit and dedication than ability and waist size.

For one thing, anybody can run 26.2.

I know this is shocker, and maybe that should have been my response to our house guests that day as they went out in the front of the house to have a cigarette. Yes, you, can probably, if you put enough heart and soul into it, could feasibly run and finish a marathon.

You could walk it if you had to and found the right course that allowed for a generous cut off. Nobody would say "What do you mean you walked half the race?" Technically, you still completed a marathon right? You get the finisher medal and bragging rights. If you walked and ran and walked some more, guess what? You are still a marathon runner.

Let's not kid ourselves, it helps if you are one of those tiny people that trains well and takes the distance seriously. Having the ability is crucial but all the ability in the world is not going to compensate for the desire, dedication, determination and willpower it takes to complete 26.2.

Sometimes I wonder if the older, overweight, flat-footed peoples like me can make better runners? Yea, we do not look like you speedy guys but we know that life is shorter, and we have less time to make that impression on ourselves and others, we have less time to follow our dreams and fill up our bucket lists. I am 48 and still trying to fill mine.

I know this now because I have actually passed those runners that look like they should be in the Olympic time trials. Yes, me, the floppy footed, middle aged me. Sometimes I pass them as they are walking around mile 23. They look dejected and I often want to pull over next to them and give them a pat on the back. I also want to ask them "Why are you stopping?" "Did you see what I look like and I am still moving!"

It is easy to judge and maybe that was my problem in the beginning of my running career. You cannot judge any runner that you see, especially as they magically pass you on a course. You never know how much spirit and dedication is moving them to complete 26.2.

Maybe they are like myself, the old chick in the back, determined to plop just one more item in that big old bucket list.




No comments:

Post a Comment